Can't boot 14.04

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 19:58:52 UTC 2016

On 11/06/2016 12:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 09:57:03 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I'm not sure what log info is needed to figure out the problem.
>
> You first should care about error messages and ignore warnings, if
> they should be unclear. Use Google or Startpage, avoid DuckDuck and
> similar and use the error messages as search terms.
>
> Regarding errors, care first about "fatal" errors.
>
> E.g.
>
> https://www.google.de/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=unity-greeter+Fatal+IO+error+11+on+X+server+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=lWkfWL62JMOF8Qe3wZHgDA
>

>> If there is some other info needed just ask.
>
> Did you already made some Internet research on your own and if so,
> what did you find?

I always google before I ask here.  But I am terrible at using google. I
did google using error msgs but apparently not the right ones the first
time. After reading this post I had not tried the version mismatch msg,
when I did i got this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/237080/update-manager-updates-the-kernel-mod-but-not-the-nvidia-client-how-to-get-them

I did exactly what that poster did but I still get the guest log in
screen when I try to boot.

> On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 11:03:28 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> On 11/06/2016 10:08 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>> sudo apt update sudo apt full-upgrade
>>
>> I am always unsure of the results of this command. Does this do
>> the same thing as letting the software-updater do an update?
>
> ubuntu-mate at ubuntu-mate:~$ man apt | grep full-upgrade -A1 | tail -3
> full-upgrade (apt-get(8)) full-upgrade performs the function of
> upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is
> needed to upgrade the system as a whole.
>
> I don't know software-updater, but apt full-upgrade, resp. apt-get
> dist-upgrade is what Synaptic calls a "smart" upgrade and it's the
> recommended way to upgrade.
>
> "client has the version 304.132, but this kernel module has the
> version 304.131. Please make sure that this kernel module and all
> NVIDIA driver components have the same version."
>
> This definitively needs to be fixed.

yes but how?

> I like the advantages of a xorg.conf.
>
> ubuntu-mate at ubuntu-mate:~$ grep Driver
> /media/moonstudio/etc/X11/xorg.conf Driver   "radeon" #Driver
> "vesa"
>
> As a fallback I always could switch to vesa.
>
> However, it might not be the only culprit, but you anyway need to
> fix the driver issue.
>
> Simply install the proprietary NVIDIA driver you used before, or
> consider to switch to the nouveau driver and also consider to finmd
> out why there is this version inconsistency.
>
> https://www.google.de/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=noveau+driver&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=824fWOL9LLKg8weIgaaYCA#channel=fs&q=Please+make+sure+that+this+kernel+module+and+all+NVIDIA+driver+components+have+the+same+version
>
>  Try running
>
> sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current sudo apt-get install
> nvidia-current

When I run this it says it installs 304.132, but sys.log still has the
kernel at 304.131 and the client at 304.132.

so how do I get the kernel to change?

If I recall correctly yesterday when the update ran there was compiling
being reported and it took some time to finish. Now when I install
nvidia-current, it happens quickly and I don't see a compiling message.
Is this normal?

Regards,  Jim