dirty cow und 12.04 LTS

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:24:43 UTC 2016

On 3 November 2016 at 14:15, Lentes, Bernd
<bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Ok Liam. Where can i find that kernel ?
> The amount of possible installable kernels is making it very unclear.

LTS releases are every 2 years. Normal ones are every 6 months. So,
after each LTS release, there will be 3 normal releases, then another
LTS.

The kernels of the next 3 normal releases are back-ported to the LTS.

There are a group of packages for each successive release.

You're on 12.04, yes? So it was Precise.

The next 3 backport kernels are Quantal, Raring and Saucy.

As per the post I pointed you to, you would be able to get newer
kernel packages by installing:

 linux-generic-lts-quantal

 linux-generic-lts-raring

 linux-generic-lts-saucy

But they are all out of support now, as are Utopic and Vivid, so I
don't recommend this. What I am telling you is what you _could have
done at the time_ to get newer kernels, if you needed them.

The next LTS kernel was also backported to Precise -- see here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

So that is the current newest one for Precise, I *think*.

Precise goes out of support next April. It is definitely time to look
at updating to a newer version.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven
Skype/MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven