Blanked screen never returns

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:45:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 9:36 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I upgraded my home desktop to Xubuntu 16.04, and installed 16.40
> on my laptop, I have noticed that when the screen is blanked (or
> powered down), it never comes back.  Rebooting resolves this (the
> windows solution - ugh).

Kind of a wild shot-in-the-dark, but when the screen goes away because
of the screen saver/lock, can you switch to a virtual terminal?
(ctrl-alt-F1, etc.) And when you switch back to the virtual screen
that has the X11 session in it (ctrl-alt-F7, 6, or 8, maybe), does
that help it re-recognize the monitor?

Also, have you tried ssh-ing in to an admin account and using sudo or
su to kill the desktop manager or login session?

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-rough-draft-index.html