Replacing on board NIC

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue May 31 17:54:12 UTC 2016

At Tue, 31 May 2016 10:50:55 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Running Ubuntu 14.04.
> >
> > I recently upgraded my internet speed to 150 mbps. On my HP desktop I only
> > get 1/3 of the speed advertised.
> >
> > 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP77 Ethernet (rev a2)
> >         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a81
> >         Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
> >
> > On my HP laptop I actually exceed the advertised speed.
> >
> > 00:19.0 Ehternet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network
> > Connection (rev 04)
> >     Subsystem Hewlett-Packer Company Device 18df
> >     Kernel driver in use: e1000e
> >
> > I ordered a Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXP19301CTBLK for the
> > desktop.
> >
> > 1. Do I need to disable the on board nic before installing it?
>
> Only if you don't wish to use it.  You can change which device is the
> one being used via Network Manager.
>
> > 2. What will I need to do about a driver?
>
> Nothing.  It should be detected and use the e1000e driver, I believe.

Almost all hard-wired NICs are supported out-of-the-box with available open
source drivers. This is especially true of Intel NICs. (Intel is the new
3Com.) Only some of the *bleeding edge* wireless NICs and some USB/Mobile NIC
(really Modems) might need [closed source] drivers and/or firmware.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933