multiple names for the same external drive

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:03:51 UTC 2016

On 30 May 2016 at 14:18, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04, but this happened in 15.10 also. I have 3
> external drives, external, mobilbackup and routerdrive. Something glitches
> with them and the naming convention. I now have, under media, external1,
> external11, external12, mobilbackup, mobilbackup1, routerdrive, routerdrive1
> and routerdrive2. I am also seeing Ubuntu-mate 16.04 lts amd64 and
> Ubuntu-mate 16. amd641, which are old install dvds. The files can only be
> found on the last one that was renamed. When they get "renamed" I have some
> programs that I have to reconfigure for the name change. Is there anyway to
> are running off of a PCI express USB 3.0 card. Once in awhile, after a
> reboot, it won't see external and I have to unplug it and plug it into a
> different port to be seen.

Suggestion:

Shut the machine down.
Disconnect all the drives.
Restart.
As root, remove all the old mount points under /media
Reboot.

(I'd also do a forced fsck at this point:

sudo touch /forcefsck

... before the reboot and it will check the root FS for errors.)

Now, when you reconnect the drives, the OS should create new mount points.