Help me Remove a DSL network entry

Chas IRONS ironscf at telkomsa.net
Sun May 29 09:14:49 UTC 2016

--
irons.charles at gmail.com
Home   +2711 782 8623

On Fri, 2016-05-27 at 17:31 -0400, Scott Blair wrote:
> On 05/27/2016 07:34 AM, Chas IRONS wrote:
>

> > Hello all
> >
> > DSL service was poor so my ISP gave me a wireless router that works;
> > but my browsers will not connect if the router is on first.
> >
> > I must have messed up trying to remove the DSL network entry.
> >
> > I cannot find a way to remove it in Ubuntu users guide.
> >
> > Settings/Network shows two Wired entries; the top wireless one is
> > working (TIAllAccess);  the lower Wired entry is for the DSL
> > router .
> > I suppose this is the entry I need to remove but how? I did "delete"
> > but it still appears.
> > Settings/Network/Options shows an error Editing the lower Wired
> > entry for the DSL router.
> >

> > When I click on Menu bar/Edit Connections it shows only one Ethernet
> > router (TIAllAccess wireless).
> > Then I click on Menu bar/Edit Connections/Edit TIAllAccess and it
> > shows the MAC details of the router (TIAllAccess wireless).
> > After I click on Menu bar/Connection Information it shows details of
> > the router (TIAllAccess wireless).
> >
> > I hope you can follow the above info and tell me how to remove the
> > second Wired Connection.
> > Maybe that will allow my browsers to connect to the TIAllAccess
> > wireless when it is already running; it will not switch off and on
> > again easily.
> >
> > Apologies for the long story from a retired Ubuntu Unity user.
> > I attached screenshots for each of the above steps but that was
> > rejected as too big.
> >
> > Thanks. Chas
> > --
> > irons.charles at gmail.com
> > Home   +2711 782 8623

Thanks for trying. My results are inserted below.

> OK go to your network connections, then down to Edit Connections.
> Go to the one you DO NOT want to connect to, click on it and click on
> edit.

>From the Menu icon, that only shows one Connection now which does work
fine.

> Under general make sure that Automatically connect to this network
> when it is available is unchecked, then click on save.
> Go to the one you want to connect to and click on it.
> Click on edit
> Click on general tab and make sure the Automatically connect to this
> network when available has a check mark.
> Click on save and you should be good to go.

The one Connection is set as you say and it works

> You can also click on the one you don't want to connect to and click
> on delete, but if it is broadcasting it might show back up. So I would
> just make sure it is not set to automatically connect to.

The Settings/Network display shows two Wired entries; the top wireless
one is  working (TIAllAccess);
the lower Wired entry is for the DSL router .That correctly says "Cable
unplugged" and clicking on Options shows "Error editing" and No entry
found for UUID null or similar.

> > I suppose this is the entry I need to remove but how? I did "delete"
> > but it still appears.

Maybe that is a clearer description of the problem that prevents the
wireless router connecting automatically?
Thanks again for trying. Chas.