Ubuntu autofs rule hides my home directory so I cannot login

Frank Chang frankchang91 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:02:02 UTC 2016

    I perused the answers in this excellent Unix Stack Exchange article;
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/24731/automounting-usb-sticks-on-debian
and tested it earlier yesterday on an Ubuntu Linux 16.04 instance ,
Lenovo Thinkstation quad core desktop , and saw that the autofs rule hides
my /home/frank directory and /media/data1 directory.

    Why does this autofs hint hide my /home/frank subdirectory so I cannot
reboot and login again?

    How do I fix the autofs procedure, which is an alternative to modifying
/etc/fstab

    Finally, why is the autofs hint preferred by Ubuntu Linux practioners
over  modifying
/etc/fstab for the purpose of creating a permanent mount point for a CD, DVD
or USB drive.

    Any help is greatly appreciated