System ground down to a halt

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Fri May 20 20:00:35 UTC 2016

> was that the swap space should be twice the size of the RAM

The Ubuntu installer creates a swap that equals the amount of ram. I usually let it, since swap is rarely used and it's not too much disk space.

However, for my servers I use a 60GB SSD to boot from, and on a server with 32G of ram the swap partition was larger than that the data partition after the install.

Luckily, gparted allowed me to easily remove the swap, enlarge the data partition, and recreate a smaller swap.

I can't speak for desktop systems, but on servers the swap amount sometimes grows to only a couple megs in size even after running 24/7 for months.