Any success with 16.04 netboot?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Fri May 20 14:44:49 UTC 2016

Has anyone had any success using the official 16.04 netboot images to
PXE boot and install?

I have a PXE server I've used to netboot install various images
including Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04, CentOS, etc.

Whenever I try to install Ubuntu 16.04 using netboot/PXE, it downloads
and boots the images fine and I can go through the basic setup (I
choose to not do any preseeding) such as connecting to the network,
choosing a locale/language, etc.

But then I get this message:

> No kernel modules were found.  This probably is due to a mismatch
> between the kernel used by this version of the installer and kernel
> version available in the archive.

and I pretty much can't find a way forward (if I try to move forward
anyway, it can't find the local disk).

I've seen many mentions of this error on the various mailing lists from
_before_ 16.04 was released, and responses seem to suggest that there's
a misconfiguration on the servers somewhere and it apparently got
cleaned up later.  But this is the 16.04 release, not a beta, and I'm
still seeing this problem?