Where do C# executables running on an Ubuntu Linux 16.04 desktop which use source code that DLLImport's shared objects look for them at runtime?

Frank Chang frankchang91 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:38:53 UTC 2016

Where do C# executables running on an Ubuntu Linux 16.04 Lenovo
Thinkstation desktop which use source code that DLLImport's shared objects
(so's) look for shared objects at runtime? Even if the shared object
libxyz.so resides in same subdirectory as the C# executable's subdirectory,
I found that it is necessary to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ensure correct C#
executable program behavior. Why is this the case?

We noticed that during the installation of many third-party Linux software
products, the installation programs or scripts manage to find libc.so.6 in
the subdirectory /usr/libx86_64-linux-gnu without requiring the customer
specify an LD_LIBRARY_PATH containing that subdirectory. Why is that the
case?
Also, if we wish to run the C# executable as a point and click
mono-service, how do we globally specify LD_LIBRARY_PATH, until the
computer reboots, without resorting to opening an Ubuntu Linux 16.04
terminal?
This is not a C# or C++ programming question.
Any help is welcomed,