clear history from shell

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 10:54:12 UTC 2016

Thursday, May 19, 2016  at 8:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
Re: clear history from shell (at least in part)

>On Thu, 19 May 2016 06:51:51 +0100, Grizzly wrote:
>>Wednesday, May 18, 2016  at 14:53, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>Re: clear history from shell (at least in part)

>>>That's what the HISTCONTROL=erasedups is supposed to do.

>>>In my experience, this doesn't always (or often) work - I get scads of
>>>duplicate entries within in terminal window, but I have mine set to
>>>HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth:erasedups.  I'm not sure that works too well
>>>either.

>>From what I have read (but not tested), it only works with consecutive
>>commands i.e.

>>Apt-get update
>>Apt-get update
>>
>>would storee one Apt-get update

>>but

>>Apt-get update
>>Apt-get dist-upgrade
>>Apt-get update
>>Apt-get dist-upgrade

>>would store them all?

>What was your source of reading?

I read the text you qouted
"A value of ignoredups causes lines matching the previous history entry to not
be  saved"

I took that to mean "The" previous (singular) entry, after testing it works as
I expected (as above)

I did miss the distiction bewteen and have tested erasedups now and it "seems"
to do what I want, the most current use of a command is saved to history