deja-dup issue

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:41:27 UTC 2016

On 16 May 2016 at 13:27, Jatin khatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 15 May 2016 12:55 PM, Petter Adsen wrote:
>
> On Sun, 15 May 2016 08:09:30 +0100
> Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 15 May 2016 at 05:07, Jatin khatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:

> what do you suggest for daily/weekly scheduled  data backup for a
> laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 ?
>
> As I said, I use backintime.
>
> +1 on backintime. Also, for my servers I use attic.
>
> Petter
>

> Ok, Thanks
>
> One more question, Does it support Compression and Incremental backup ( same
> like Deja-Dup)  ?

Assuming that you mean backintime then no to compression.  If a file
has not changed then hard links are used in the backup so that the
unchanged file takes up (effectively) no space.  Modified files are
stored as new files rather than incrementally from the previous
version.  That consumes additional space but is what gives the system
its transparency.  The backup is a set of snapshots of the disc which,
if required, can be read by any file explorer, it does not need the
backintime app to interpret it.

Colin