How to obtain list of installed packages

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:05:54 UTC 2016

On 11/05/2016, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 May 2016 12:06:29 +0200, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> The best answer's the one that proposed an aptitude search because it
>>> returned the list of packages that were installed specifically rather
>>> than automatically.
>>
>> this isn't a good advice.
>>
>> A pitfall could be that some packages are installed with the
>> recommended packages, but others were not installed with recommended
>> packages. This is important even when installing the same Ubuntu
>> release and fails when following your advice Tom.
>
> Not at all.
>
> You can run "aptitude -F %p search '?narrow(?installed,!?automatic)'"
> (or "aptitude -F %p search '~S ~i !~M'") to get the list of packages
> that were installed manually.

Ah, no.

Because, after I installed aptitude (it was not installed, when I
first tried to run the command), and, again ran that command, as
shown, it listed all kinds of packages that I had no knowledge of
installing, including evidence that the man from "Some Mothers Do Have
'Em", has been in my system, because there was a "whoopsie" found
there, and, I know that I did not (knowingly) put it there. Maybe, it
was not him, but, was a dog, because there was also a "yelp"  found
there.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale