Getting notify to work in gmail with ubuntu 14.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:05:06 UTC 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 14:58, Donald Parsons <dnldprsns at gmail.com> wrote:
> The notify is supposed to indicate on the desktop when there is new mail in
> gmail even when gmail is not open.
> I have followed the "Turn notifications on or off" for gmail but nothing
> shows up on the desktop.
> Is ubuntu interfering with this?

It sounds to me like you are confusing 2 different things.

The Gmail web app supports notifications in some web browsers. If the
page is open, even if it is not visible, e.g. it is in a background
tab or minimised window, then you will see pop-up notifications for
new messages.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1075549?hl=en

This requires a browser with web-app notification support.

Alternatively, you can run a small resident program that periodically
checks and tells you when you have new mail. Google used to offer an
official one but I believe it is long discontinued.

Here is an example:

http://gmail-notify.sourceforge.net/

However, as you can see from its Sourceforge project page, it's not
been updated in 3y:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmail-notify/

This means it might not work any more.

Which are you trying to get to work?

A third way is to configure Gmail in Thunderbird, leave it open but
minimised, and use Thunderbird's notifications, but continue to use
the web app for actual sending and receiving. This has the benefit of
giving you an offline archive of your email. I have used this
successfully.