Ubuntu Desktop MIR doesn't work on Xenial

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:13:12 UTC 2016

Hey guys,

 I'm trying to get rid of XOrg as my main display manager but, regular
Ubuntu on top MIR is not working.

 First, Unity 8 with MIR is working! I can do this:

 apt install unity8-desktop-session-mir

 And use Unity 8 just as expected, no X, but also, no X11 Apps...

 So, after reading the following page:

 https://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/using_mir_on_pc.html

 I'm trying to run regular Unity 7, on top of MIR / XMIR, but running:

 apt install ubuntu-desktop-mir

 And re-configuring the following file:

/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-unity-system-compositor.conf

 With:

---

[SeatDefaults]
type=unity

---

 However, after rebooting (or "service lightdm restart"), I see a
high-resolution message, telling me that it is running on "Low resolution
mode"... But it is not!

 I'm pretty sure that my Macbook Pro (2015) is capable of running MIR and
Wayland (GNOME+Wayland works).

 What am I missing?

Cheers!
Thiago