Legacy mode issue installing Ubuntu 16.04

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 09:34:38 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 19:59:23 +0100
> "Gary J. Kirkpatrick" <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thought I'd try Ubuntu 16 alongside my install of 15.10.  When I
> > start the install I get the following message:
> <snip>
> > Since I do want to continue to access 15.10, I want to install in
> > legacy mode, which I used to install 15.10 in the first place.  Is
> > there some way of overriding the machine's software from within the
> > install?    I checked the bios and only Legacy Mode options are
> > enabled.
>
> Some machines, and apparently yours, can be set to boot both UEFI and
> Legacy systems, and you define in the firmware setup which mode is
> tried first. On my system, I can choose between "Legacy only", "UEFI
> only", and "Both". I'm guessing your system has a similar setting, and
> tries UEFI before it falls back to Legacy mode. Since it is able to
> boot the installer in UEFI mode, that is what is started.
>
> Anyway, you will probably need to change something in your firmware
> settings, I don't think you can force the installer to install in
> Legacy mode on a system that has been booted in UEFI mode.
>
> Of course, you can also convert your Legacy 15.10 install to UEFI by
> creating an ESP (EFI System Partition) and installing the
> grub-efi-amd64 package (grub-efi-amd64-signed if you use Secure Boot),
> and then have both systems in UEFI mode. You need to do this from a
> live disc that is booted in UEFI mode and use something like chroot.
>
> Take a look at these if you need a guide:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Converting_Ubuntu_into_UEFI_or_Legacy_mode
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/509423/which-commands-to-convert-a-ubuntu-bios-install-to-efi-uefi-without-boot-repair
>
> Petter
>
> --
> "I'm ionized"
> "Are you sure?"
> "I'm positive."

Thanks for the reply.

In this bios version you can choose between the two, and in the setup I
chose legacy.  In the boot menu itself, which comes up if you use the built
in reset option (using a paper clip) there is no choice between legacy and
UEFI to boot the usb, unfortunately.

For the moment I think I will leave things as is, and do a fresh install of
16.10 once it becomes official, perhaps towards the end of the support
period of 15.10, which is working quite well.

garyk