Splitting large zip archives

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 17 10:34:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:51:39 +0100
Nils Kassube wrote:

> Good point - I hadn't thought about that. OTOH you could make two
> partitions. One for your backup of the zip files, just the size big
> enough for these files using the appropriate file system. And a second
> partition for general use with you gadgets - formatted with FAT.

Yes, that's a possibility.  I'll think about that.

> Granted, this is not a solution to your original question, but there
> seems to be no solution of that type anyway.

Yes, that surprises me, which is why I asked the question originally.
Maybe I'll try writing a script to do it. I can't see that it would be
difficult, even if the solution isn't all that elegant - i.e. extracting
all the files to a temporary location and then re-zipping them in groups so
that they are less than 4GB.

Thanks for all the comments.

- Richard
--