Installing and running multiple instances of the same software

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Mar 13 04:36:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 07:20:49 +0300, Amer wrote:
>I would like to install the same software twice in my machine. The
>software is vyatta and my machine is Ubuntu 12.04. Also, I want to run
>these two instances at the same time. I do not want to use VMs based
>solution.

Some software can only run by one instance for all users, other
software can only run by one instance for a user, other software could
be run by several instances for a user. If software only can run by one
instance for a user, you could run several instances by running it for
several users. There are two approaches to do so and it's not required
to install the same software several times.

Installing several versions of the same software could become tricky
and might require to install to /opt with not using shared libs.

IOW before we could help you, you should explain what exactly you want
to archive.