Best way to backup an iphone to icloud on Linux (that works)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Mar 11 09:13:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:09:36 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>But I can say that a  Encrypted Backup & Restore does save all the
>apps & reloads them.

The not encrypted backup also allows to restore from a backup on the
same device, without downloading from the app store, so even apps that
aren't available by the app store anymore are restored.
But what would happen, if you want to restore the backup on another
device? I guess a restore compares checksums, checks purchase
information and then activates the apps, that are still on the iOS
device. Assumed there should be a checksum mismatch or you restore on
another device, I suspect the binaries will be downloaded from the
app store. IOW I guess a working Internet connection is needed and the
purchased apps still need to be provided by the app store. I suspect
it's the same for the encrypted backup. That a restore on the
original device does work, is not an evidence for stored binaries. Btw.
a restore via USB on my machine is much to fast it can't be a copy of
all binaries.