Update check is failing

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:43:28 UTC 2016

I have a big red "!" icon in my top panel (on Xubuntu), and a message that
reads "The update information is outdated.  This may be caused by network
problems or by a repository that is no longer available.  Please update
manually by selecting 'Show Updates' from the indicator menu, and watching
for any failing repository.'

I had no idea where to find an "indicator menu", and a web search was
cluttered with so many near misses that it was no help (suggestion: clarify
the message.)  It turns out that a menu with an item "Show Updates"
appeared just below the message (Suggestion: say "from the menu below"),
and I tried that.

Unfortunately, what I got was a Software updater window that was just a
title bar, and nothing else, so there was nothing to watch.  My network is
fine.  I do have some added repos, and I'll look through them, but really
there's something wrong with the guidance here.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */