Best way to backup an iphone to icloud on Linux (that works)

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 10 17:39:48 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 09:26 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:00:17 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>> and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I
>>> guess just the purchases and data gets stored..
>>
>> 	If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup the
>> 	binaries of the applications you have on your device.
>
> This was my thought too, but seemingly iTunes Windows/Vbox only stores
> the binaries of applications that were downloaded by iTunes
> Windows/Vbox. The binaries of apps that were downloaded by Wifi by the
> iPad or by another Windows/Vbox are not backuped, just the
> purchase information is backuped.

	What you need to do there then, once the iOS device is connected, in
the File menu (might be Edit) you should see Devices. In the sub-menu of
that, you should see an option to Transfer Purchases. This should copy
the downloaded apps to the computer.

> First I used XP in Vbox and since I didn't own a router, I downloaded
> the apps with iTunes XP/Vbox and synced with the iPad, for in-app
> purchase I needed to visit a hot spot. I also updated iOS this way, it
> this only worked with old versions of Vbox and failed when using newer
> versions of VBox.
>
> When Apple dropped XP support I set up Win 7 in VBox and by a sync the
> purchase information was synced, but definitively no binaries were
> transmitted and stored. I have a router now and usually purchase by
> Wifi.
>
> A "backup" seems not to be a complete backup as we know it when we
> backup a complete Linux install.

	Hmm, with all the backup/restores I've done with my iPhones, it's
always been pretty much a full restore, aside form text messages. I also
do have the option to encrypt the backup as well.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.