Best way to backup an iphone to icloud on Linux (that works)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Mar 10 14:26:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:00:17 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I
>> guess just the purchases and data gets stored..
>
>	If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup the
>	binaries of the applications you have on your device.

This was my thought too, but seemingly iTunes Windows/Vbox only stores
the binaries of applications that were downloaded by iTunes
Windows/Vbox. The binaries of apps that were downloaded by Wifi by the
iPad or by another Windows/Vbox are not backuped, just the
purchase information is backuped.

First I used XP in Vbox and since I didn't own a router, I downloaded
the apps with iTunes XP/Vbox and synced with the iPad, for in-app
purchase I needed to visit a hot spot. I also updated iOS this way, it
this only worked with old versions of Vbox and failed when using newer
versions of VBox.

When Apple dropped XP support I set up Win 7 in VBox and by a sync the
purchase information was synced, but definitively no binaries were
transmitted and stored. I have a router now and usually purchase by
Wifi.

A "backup" seems not to be a complete backup as we know it when we
backup a complete Linux install.

Regarding the other issue, that USB is a PITA when using Virtualbox, if
there wouldn't be an Apple protocol, we simply could mount the iPad and
copy using a terminal or file manger, but we need iTunes and the
version of iOS must fit to the version of the iOS on the iPhone/iPad.

I suspect assumed you've got the purchase information of an app that
isn't available by iStore anymore and you want to sync with a new iOS
device, you are lost. If the app still is available, it will be
downloaded again, but assumed the app was updated, you would get the
current version and not necessarily the old version you used with your
old Apple device. Restoring without Internetaccess likely won't work,
if the app wasn't purchased by iTunes Windows/Vbox.