Best way to backup an iphone to icloud on Linux (that works)

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 10 13:49:27 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 05:29 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:35:44 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> I'm fairly certain (haven't tested though) that VirtualBox should pass
>> the USB phone connection through to the Windows guest fine.
>
> Hi,
>
> is there a good reason for this assumption?

	Uhh, yeah...

> What makes you think that the OP won't get 'unknown errors', if the OP
> backup/sync the iOS device by USB with a virtualbox Linux host?

	The fact that while I have heard a few reports of it working, I haven't
tried myself...

> Assumed the OP wants to update iOS by USB, how could it be solved that
> the OP doesn't need to reconnect manually (Virtualbox > Devises > USB)
> each time the iOS device interrupts the connection, which is done 3 or 4
> times, e.g. one time when the iOS device automatically turns off and on
> during the iOS update?

	IIRC, it can't.

> You can't compare the sync with an iOS device with virtualbox's
> ability to work without issues, with other connected USB devices.

	Uhh, yeah... 2 different systems..

> 1. Other devices do not automatically disconnect and reconnect e.g.
>     caused by a restart during an iOS update.

	No disagreement here...

> 2. I don't know why 'unknown errors' happen more often, then
>     backups/sync are successfully on my machine, but I could imagine it's
>     related to an Apple protocol and perhaps the slow performance of
>     iTunes running on the Windows guest on newer Virtualbox versions.
>     Everything worked better with old Virtualbox versions, so I
>     stayed with an outdated Virtualbox for a while for my Ubuntu and
>     Arch install, but I stopped maintaining the old version a while back.
>
> It could be that iOS updates by USB become completely impossible. I
> don't do it anymore, since I now have got a router. But when doing
> this, I was forced to maintain an outdated version of Virtualbox.

	iOS still can be updated by using iTunes & your device connected by
USB. With the size of the updates lately, I always recommend to my
clients that they do their iOS updates that way, and not over the air.
This also gets their device backup in case things go pear shaped.

> Note, I don't experience USB issues with Virtualbox, excepted for
> syncing an iPad. In addition iTunes doesn't perform as well as other
> apps do on the guest system.
>
> Any hints to get rid of the USB issue are welcome.
>
> To share individual files between Linux and an iPad Virtualbox works
> quite good and this requires less effort. Transmitting a script or MIDI
> file from a sequencer etc. by USB is not an issue and the advantage of
> Virtualbox is that it provides shared read/write folders between host
> and guest. To get this, it's much effort when using another host. Since
> I share music production data and scripts, I'm using Virtualbox, but
> again, USB is a PITA when making backups.
>
> FWIW I don't encrypt the backup.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

	Ralf, what's with the (what feels like) an attack on my advice? You
yourself said that you use iTunes/Windows in VirtualBox for your iPad. I
only agreed that that may be an option. I also fairly clearly stated
that it's not guaranteed to work.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818