Maildir in Thunderbird?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Mar 8 14:11:32 UTC 2016

On 16-03-08 06:54 AM, Karl Auer wrote:

> Is anyone out there actually doing this and can confirm it's possible?
> My own research suggests it's not. I would be overjoyed to find out it
> is possible; it's about the only thing stopping me moving to
> Thunderbird...
>
> Regards, K.

Why?  Maildir is really not all that it's cracked up to be on the
personal desktop.  Thunderbird uses an index file in combination with
the Mbox storage, so it's very efficient.  The only benefit to maildir
is that messages can be moved between folders efficiently, (and of
course, individual messages can be deleted without requiring the whole
folder being re-written.

On the negative side, searching the contents of e-mail for text is
aggravatingly slow on Maildir, as in re-indexing a large folder if/when
it becomes necessary to do so.

If you really want maildir on Linux with Thunderbird, you can install
dovecot, and add an Imap account.   Thunderbird will be more than happy
to receive e-mails from your other e-mail accounts and save them in your
Imap Inbox, if that's what you want. This way, you can install a webmail
client to access your mail storage remotely, or just use mutt on a
terminal for that purpose.  I used to handle my e-mail that way some
years ago.)