New laptop - weird key repeat issue

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:33:51 UTC 2016

2016/03/02 14:31 "Karl Auer" <kauer at biplane.com.au>:

> This new Lenovo E560 of mine is displaying one or two peccadilloes.
>
> First and most irritating, keys start auto-repeating after a brief,
> configurable delay - but if I hold the key down past that point for
> half a second, they keep repeating when I let go of the key! They will
> repeat indefinitely if allowed to do so, and if I move the focus to a
> different window they will merrily go on repeating there too. The only
> thing that stops a key repeating once it starts is to press another key
> (shift, alt, ctl etc do not stop an autorepeating key).

This sounds like a problem on openbsd on the ancient macppc platform. Not
that it would be the exact same problem, of course.

Just out of curiosity, if you press shift before any other key, does it
change things?

Or is it maybe related to the trackpad? (Stab in the dark, here.)

> This issue does not happen in a "real" console, but it does happen in
> terminal windows.

That means the bug is in the interaction between the several layers (ick)
of keyboard drivers in the OS itself and the "drivers" in X11.

> Pretty much every key does this - letter keys, number keys, arrow keys,
> backspace and so on, so it's not a sticky key. BUT: An external
> keyboard (USB) does not have the problem.

Keyboards are dead easy. So easy, in fact, that they are easy to get dead
wrong.

> With nothing attached, lsusb reports this:
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b541 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>
> I'm guessing the Chicony device is the keyboard.
>
> All updates for 15.10 have been applied.
>
> Similar issues have been reported in the past - waaaay in the past, and
> not only with Lenovo - but it seems that this issue is still alive and
> well and living in my laptop. Googling has brought no relief; does
> anyone have any pointers?
>
> Regards, K.

Sounds like a bug to me. Have you reported it?

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text