ubuntu 14.04 PAM questions

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:01:38 UTC 2016

>  >  What happens if you run 'sudo
 > >  pam-auth-update' from a shell?
> >  Does it
 > >  throw any error
> >  messages?
 > >
>  >
>  >  Petter
>>  >
> Hi Petter , Here it
> is :
>
> supervisor at proteas:~$
>  sudo pam-auth-update
>
> debconf: DbDriver "config":
>  /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked
>
>  by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>  Is the GUI window still open?
>  If it is still trying to reconfigure PAM
>  you
>  need to close it first.
>
> Petter

Hi Petter,

Yes,I closed it since two hours ago and this message comes up.
I tried it again and the system spews the same message.
I  "ps ax" 'ed it and lo and behold :

supervisor at proteas:~$ ps ax | grep update
 2403 ?        Sl     0:00 update-notifier
 5104 ?        Sl     0:01 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/update-manager
 5131 pts/2    SN+    0:55 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/share/debconf/frontend /usr/sbin/pam-auth-update --package
 5134 pts/2    SN+    0:01 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/sbin/pam-auth-update --package
 5883 pts/3    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto update

Let me kill all this . . . .

And here is the message (from the terminal in curses mode) :

Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) determine how authentication,
authorization, and password changing are handled on the system, as well
as allowing configuration of additional actions to take when starting
user sessions.

Some PAM module packages provide profiles that can be used to
automatically adjust the behavior of all PAM-using applications on the
system. Please indicate which of these behaviors you wish to enable.

PAM Profiles to enable :

[*] Unix authenticaion
[*] Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
[*] Register user sessions in the systemd control group hierarchy

     <OK>                                   <CANCEL>

All choices are checked.
Should I go ahead and click on "OK" ??

s.

 --