Ubuntu 16.04 LTS cannot shut down

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Thu Jun 30 16:55:25 UTC 2016

When I've seen this problem, it's almost always been a recently updated
library keeping the shutdown process from working properly.  Usually a
reboot fixes that, but if this doesn't happen in your case, I'm willing to
bet it's an ACPI issue. I had an HP laptop do the exact same thing many
years ago (almost a decade now) and I had to use the -noacpi switch in the
kernel boot. Though,I'm not even sure that's a valid switch any longer.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> the title says it all. I installed this version of Ubuntu on an HP
> Pavilion G6
> laptop, and the only thing that doesn't work, and makes Ubuntu unusable
> for now,
>  is the fact that it does NOT shut down.
>
> - "reboot" from the terminal works
>
> "shutdown -n now" from terminal, or "shut down" from the graphical
> interface
> do not work. They only **completely, completely freeze** the system.
>
> I have **already** searched online for this problem, and all I found are
> lots
> of reports like this at askubuntu and similar places, with almost zero
> answers. Any help to diagnose and fix the problem is very welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marco
>

> --
> http://mfioretti.com

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |