ubuntu 16.04 vnc doesn work

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:39:28 UTC 2016

On 25 June 2016 at 00:53, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Of course on the system Xserver is running and when I looked yes xfce4 is
> running but I cannot find which desktop manager is running.

Xfce *is a desktop*, so if you are running Xfce, then your desktop is
Xfce. It's possible to run the Xfce window manager on its own, without
the rest of the desktop -- e.g. a version of Crunchbang did this --
but it's very rare.

This article shows where to turn 3D compositing on/off in Xubuntu:

http://duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/

Also:

> Then I think
> My workstation is a AMD 6300 6-core running 3000MHz 8Gb memory self build.

If you built it yourself, then what factory provided "the
factory-provided images" you say that you used? I am a little
confused.

Do you simply mean that you installed from ordinary ISO files and did
not compile your own system from source?

If so, that's normal. Mostly, only Gentoo users compile their own systems. :-)

> The controlled system is an Odroid-C2 ARM 4-core 2Gb memory and the beauty
> is that it uses <5W and is very low cost (even cheaper than the raspberry).

They are impressive, but one of the things that I like about the
Raspberry Pi is that it isn't limited to only Linux. There are many
other OSes. One of mine runs RISC OS, for instance.