ubuntu 16.04 vnc doesn work

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:37:31 UTC 2016

On 24 June 2016 at 16:02, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Sorry Liam,
> I am on another (google) list and there attachments are permitted.

Nonethless, it is poor netiquette.

Text only, bottom posting, no attachments, max 4 line sig. Those are the rules.

> But if
> necessary I can upload to a site but I think you know the problem. Maybe
> stupid question: how can I see which desktop is used as I run the system
> remote.

(!)

Did you not install the machine yourself? What distro did you use?

It would be possible to work it out looking carefully at the list of
running processes, what login manager is configured and things like
that, but it will require expert knowledge.

> Strange enough ssh -Y (or -X) works without a problem but I think
> that doesn't use the desktop.

Basic ssh should work, yes. As you say, it's a shell, not a graphical
session. I am sorry but I do not know what the -X or -Y switches do.

> As I have problems with the video driver (I have a VGA monitor and the
> output is only HDMI) so I use an HDMI-VGA adaptor and that is maybe the
> problem

That should not matter or affect anything.

> but with my raspberry Pi 2 I have no problem with that adaptor.

Is the server a RasPi, then?

> It
> is a pity as I want to use it as server without X but for control vnc is
> easier that ssh.

I don't understand. If you want to use it without X.11, why and how is
vnc easier?

> The beauty is that it only uses 5 Watt but has all possibilities (a.o. 4
> USB-ports and 1 Ethernet) so it is ideal to use it as a server.
> May be you have some suggestions of how to use vnc without desktop.

If you do not want a desktop, don't use VNC. Indeed without a GUI I
think you _cannot_ use VNC. It is a graphical remote-control program.
That is its sole purpose.