Opera & cookies

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:00:21 UTC 2016

On 20 June 2016 at 06:45, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 06/19/2016 01:29 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>
>> On 06/18/2016 08:56 PM, Jared Norris wrote:

>>> I haven't used Firefox in years so not exactly sure the functionality
>>> you're looking for. But what I do for Chrome is set it to block all
>>> cookies. When I go to a page with them there is a little cookie icon
>>> with a
>>> red cross through it in the address bar. I can click that to manage the
>>> cookies for that site quite easily and with great accuracy (allow some
>>> but
>>> not others, clear on exit, always allow, etc.).
>>>
>>> When you first switch that on it's annoying because you're constantly
>>> adding sites to "clear on exit" for sites you regularly use and trust.
>>> But
>>> after a week or two I haven't had to adjust much anymore and find it
>>> helpful.
>>>

>> Jared,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that about Chrome, but then I don't
>> know much about Chrome period.  It seems to act just like Firefox except
>> Firefox pops up a dialog instead of the icon, a small adjustment for me
>> to make.  Looks like Chrome will become my default browser.
>>

> I started to test out this feature of Chrome.  The first couple of sites I
> tried worked as expected. Then I tried to log on to Yahoo Mail. It would
> not let me log on so I clicked on the red x and set to allow cookies,
> reloaded the page but still could not log on. It kept asking me for my
> password over and over. Indeed the red x never went away and if I click on
> it and then "show cookies and other site data", both tabs that appear
> (allowed & blocked) show the same cookie data.
>
> Wondering if you have seen this behavior and managed to get it to work?
>

> Regards,  Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I do see it from time to time. Not
regular enough to see a pattern but essentially I work around it by just
adding it again. The only thing I could think of was that there were new
cookies because I'd done something different the second time around than
the first. Accepting them again seems to make the problem disappear.

Let me know if you find out anything else about it though, would be good to
know what's going on.

Regards,

Jared