Problem upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Mon Jun 20 17:51:46 UTC 2016

** Reply to message from Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> on Mon, 20 Jun 2016
08:42:19 +0200

> Bob wrote:
> > ** Reply to message from Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> on Mon, 20 Jun
> > 2016 07:13:40 +0200

> > > Not exactly - it is part of mono, which is an open source
> > > implementation of Microsofts .NET framework.

> > > Try these commands in a terminal:
> > >
> > > sudo dpkg --configure -a
> > > sudo apt-get install -f
> >
> > bob1 at Jupiter:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> > [sudo] password for bob1:
> > bob1 at Jupiter:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> > required: libcdaudio1 libslv2-9
> > Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > bob1 at Jupiter:~$
>
> It looks like the upgrade was successful. Of course that doesn't explain
> the error message, but at least the package database seems to be OK.
>
> I'm not sure, but it could be that the system has marked the gacutil.exe
> crash and now wants to report it. You could have a look at the directory
> /var/crash/ and if there is a file like
> "_usr_lib_mono_4.5_gacutil.exe.0.crash" you could remove it (as root).
> That should prevent further attempts to report the crash.

There were three files in /var/crash.
_usr_lib_i386-linux-gnu_hud_hud-service.1000.crash
_usr_lib_mono_4.5_gacutil.exe.0.crash
_usr_sbin_cupsd.0.crash

I moved them to another directory and did a reboot.

On reboot after a login I got two popup windows

System program problem detected
Do you want to report the problem

I clicked the Report button on the second window that had poped up, entered my
password  and got another popup window

Sorry Ubuntu 16.04 has experenced an internal error
If you notice further problems try restartng the computer
send an error report to help fix the problem

I clicked to send a report.

Then I clicked the other report problem window and entered my password and that
was the end of the reporting.

Now in /var/crash there are two files
_usr_sbin_cupsd.0.crash
_usr_sbin_cupsd.0.upload

I don't know if the reports were sent or not.  What should I do now?

--
Robert Blair

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free!  -- P.J. O'Rourke