Opera & cookies

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 20:45:03 UTC 2016

On 06/19/2016 01:29 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/18/2016 08:56 PM, Jared Norris wrote:

>>> Liam,
>>>
>>> I've looked at Cookie Monster in the past and rejected it.  I don't
>>> remember exactly why, but will take another look at it. I don't remember
>>> ever evaluating cookie-whitelist-with-buttons before, so I'll take a
>>> look
>>> at it.
>>>
>>> I'm not the only one that misses that function. There was quite a bit of
>>> discussion on the Mozilla list when people realized it was gone. I keep
>>> hoping that someone will write an extension to simply replace that
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> Thanks,  Jim
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> I haven't used Firefox in years so not exactly sure the functionality
>> you're looking for. But what I do for Chrome is set it to block all
>> cookies. When I go to a page with them there is a little cookie icon
>> with a
>> red cross through it in the address bar. I can click that to manage the
>> cookies for that site quite easily and with great accuracy (allow some
>> but
>> not others, clear on exit, always allow, etc.).
>>
>> When you first switch that on it's annoying because you're constantly
>> adding sites to "clear on exit" for sites you regularly use and trust.
>> But
>> after a week or two I haven't had to adjust much anymore and find it
>> helpful.
>
> Jared,
>
> Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that about Chrome, but then I don't
> know much about Chrome period.  It seems to act just like Firefox except
> Firefox pops up a dialog instead of the icon, a small adjustment for me
> to make.  Looks like Chrome will become my default browser.

I started to test out this feature of Chrome.  The first couple of sites
I tried worked as expected. Then I tried to log on to Yahoo Mail. It
would not let me log on so I clicked on the red x and set to allow
cookies, reloaded the page but still could not log on. It kept asking me
for my password over and over. Indeed the red x never went away and if I
click on it and then "show cookies and other site data", both tabs that
appear (allowed & blocked) show the same cookie data.

Wondering if you have seen this behavior and managed to get it to work?

Regards,  Jim