Just discovered SQLite!

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Jun 19 14:14:51 UTC 2016

I've seen the name go past a thousand times but never bothered taking a
look at it. Then a few days ago I got sufficiently annoyed with a text
processing task that was taking minutes to complete, and thought I
would have a quick look. A DB solution felt right, but I didn't want to
have to run a DB server just for this little task.

Wow. What a sweet little program. HIGHLY recommended, and very
scriptable. SQL can be passed in on the command line, or redirected in
from any source. Data can be imported either as SQL commands or as a
CSV file. No server, so it always acts directly on the specified
database files.

Here's some info on when it makes sense to use SQLite:

   http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

My text processing task that used to take minutes now takes six seconds
:-) and it's wrapped in a bash script; I barely had to change the
logic. The database doesn't need a server, and it doesn't need
maintenance, or dumping for backup or any of those things, but it does
provide a very powerful subset of real SQL.

If you haven't yet looked at SQLite3, do yourself a favour and check it
out. It is a standard part of Ubuntu.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4