Is it possible to create a file allowing to listen to a web radio station via VLC or Clementine?

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Wed Jun 15 06:39:32 UTC 2016

The simple solution would be to install a program called RadioTray. It sits
in your taskbar and allows you to choose from a variety of pre-provided
radio stations in various genres. The most notable advantage of this
program, is it's very low on resources (except internet traffic)...

The program is in the Universe repository, so you can install it using the
Software Center or the command line:

sudo apt-get install radiotray

After you install it, start it from the Unity Dash. You will see it
somewhere near the clock on the top of the screen.
Open a browser and navigate to the ShoutCast website [1]. search for
"vatican". You'll get a list of available stations.
Click on the download icon beside the name of the desired station. Click on
the "Any Player(m3u) option. A download window will open. *don't* download
the file, instead, copy the address from the Address bar.
Click on the RadioTra icon and choose Preferences --> Configure Radios.
Click on the Add button. In the "Radio Name" enter whatever you want to see
on the list of stations. Paste the address you copied in the "URL" field
and choose a group to file it under (Root will put it in the main list).
Click Save and Close.
Try it!

Enjoy,

Amichai