Why I cannot purge mono-devel on Ubuntu Linux 16.04?

Frank Chang frankchang91 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 04:31:26 UTC 2016

    After sudo apt-get install mono-devel , when I try to purge mono-devel
on Ubuntu Linux 16.04, I get the following error message

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

mono-devel : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 2.10.1) but it is not installable
              Depends: libmono-cecil-private-cil (>= 2.6.3) but it is not
going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-codecontracts4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not
going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-compilerservices-symbolwriter4.0-cil (>=
1.0) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 2.6.3) but it is not going
to be installed
              Depends: libmono-corlib4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1) but it is not
going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-peapi2.0-cil (>= 2.4.2) but it is not going
to be installed

etc...
    Why does this error occur and how can I fix it?

    Also, is it necessary to install mono-devel for a production system? I
understand that mono-devel
 contains various development tools and pulls in the default development
stack for Mono .

    We may be using mono-devel for C#/ASP.NET webforms compilation and
development.

   Any help is greatly appreciated.

   Thank you.
       Frank