Document Viewer (SOLVED)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jun 7 14:20:05 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 07 June 2016 03:23:05 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >On mandag den 6. juni 2016 23.14.30 CEST, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Watch gedit carefully, it has a nasty habit of copy/pasting source
> >> codes back into the middle of other lines of source code that may
> >> be 500 lines away.  I have probably spent 50 to 100 hours trying to
> >> clean up its upchucks.
>
> I never experienced this with gedit or any other editor, but what I
> experience with a lot of software are the following issues.
>
> When using the right click menu, it could happen, that the mouse
> pointer is above paste and the mouse button could be released, due to
> a debounce issue.
>
> When selecting text with the mouse, it could happen that by accident
> the middle mouse button is pressed, this triggers a copy & past.
>
> When selecting text with the mouse, it sometimes by accident
> happens, that the order of the words or code does change, I don't know
> how this happens, but it's seemingly a feature triggert by mouse
> buttons.
>
> Linux environments and Linux software design expect perfect designed
> and working mice and users without handicaps such as tremor.
>
> The mouse settings should be changed to handle debounce in a sane way,
> as well as issues caused by less ergonomical mice and handicaps such a
> tremor. The software should provide e.g. right click menus were the
> mouse pointer not randomly could be above a critical action.
>
> Similar issues are known for new proprietary tablet software, if you
> e.g. touch a button to close an opened window, then the button below
> the close button is pushed, too. But other than by Linux upstream, the
> upstream of proprietary software fix such issues. When using Linux you
> need to waste our planet, through away your old mice and buy new mice.
>
> The known mice issues usually do not exist for proprietary software.
>
> However, I'm not a gedit user anymore, but I suspect there still isn't
> such a bug as you described, I suspect the bug disappears, if you
> replace your mouse.

IIRC I did that after one such, changing from a wired (usb) mouse to a
wireless one, which is still in use.  But IIRC it was the next time I
needed to change one numerical vale in the  .hal file for my little
monster cnc'd lathe. And it copy pasted stuff from the bottom 2
kilobytes of that 700 LOC file, to 2 or3 other random locations, making
it nearly 1100 LOC. The damage was easy enough to fix because the errant
paste always started in the middle of the line, usually midword but it
was harder to find the end of it when tryinng to delete it.  But in that
case I was watching it carefully, and never called that editor again,
but went looking fior a lookalike. Geany was pretty close, same syntax
in large part to run it. I cleaned up that mess with geany and have
never looked back.

gedit to me is a very nice looking editor, but it has more bugs than a 10
day old hunk of road killed venison in the August heat.

Regards,

Cheers Ralf, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)