How does one set Simple Scan to scan at 11" from a Brother DCP7065DN's page feeder?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:50:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Rick Berger <rckbrgr at gmail.com> wrote:

> When scanning from the page feeder on my Brother DCP7065DN
> printer/scanner, all th pages are scanned as legal, 14". Is there a way to
> set Simple Scan to scan at 11" from the feeder?

I have been using SimpleScan for years on my Brother DCP7020
printer/scanner, and most documents I scan are 8.5 x 11 inches, though the
scanner always scans a slightly different default size and I always choose
to Crop the scan to "Letter" size before beginning the scan. (You can crop
after the scan, but it's much faster to have it crop from the start.)

I recently switched to scanning some 14 inch "Legal" documents, and was
surprised when it didn't switch back to Letter size by itself. I believe I
had to twiddle the settings under Document --> Preferences to get it back
to 8.5 x 11 again.

If that doesn't work for you, first I would suggest you check on the
Brother Linux support site to see if you have the latest version of their
scanner driver for your hardware and your version of Ubuntu. I know on my
scanner the driver lags WAY behind my version of Ubuntu (since the DCP7020
is so old) but I was able to futz around with it and make the latest
version work on Ubuntu 14.04 even though the actual package was broken and
didn't install correctly.

When I'm ready to update that computer to Ubuntu 16.04 I fully expect to
have to kick and jiggle the Brother scanner package to get it to work all
over again.... and if it doesn't.... I'll have to come up with something
else. :-)

Be sure to report back here if you run into trouble. I am not at that
computer now so let me know if you need specific details about the driver.