apt not upgrading package

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 10:57:46 UTC 2016

On 5 June 2016 at 11:32, Grizzly <Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Sunday, June 05, 2016  at 8:35, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: apt not upgrading package (at least in part)
>
> <snip>
>
>>I have just tried
>>sudo apt-get upgrade
>>and it does tell me that there is one package held back.  It seems to
>>me that is a bug in apt-get dist-upgrade that I do not get any
>>indications.
>>However
>>sudo apt upgrade
>>also does not give an indication, which also looks like a bug.  I
>>think I might submit some bug reports.
>
> To a new eye it looks like that Dist-Upgrade & Upgrade (should) do slightly
> different things
>
> Dist-Upgrade does as it says to the  distribution, i.e.
> the stuff that came with your flavour of Ubuntu (or was added to later Dists)
>
> Upgrade does anythiong that was added/installed by user via apt-get (or the GUI
> eqiv)
>
> I might be wrong ?

Yes, you are wrong.  Upgrade updates any packages that have newer
versions in any of the repositories.  Dist-upgrade does the same, but
in addition, if dependencies have changed, it will install new
required packages and remove obsolete ones if necessary.

Using apt (rather than apt-get) I believe upgrade does the same thing,
and full-upgrade is equivalent to dist-upgrade, but with a more
meaningful name.

Colin