Unity, window management: how to raise?

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Fri Jun 3 12:06:35 UTC 2016

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences focus-mode 'mouse'
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences auto-raise false

That's how I set for mouse focus.  When you move the mouse around, the
focus is on that window, so you just start typing, no need for any
other action to select.  The window won't necessarily be raised, and
that's exactly how I use it.  I type in partially obstructed or
non-raised windows, where the foreground window has information I need
to read.

That's what mouse focus means, so I don't understand what the question is.
If you want focus mouse, then the 'select' means moving the mouse there.
If you want to bring a window to the foreground you click on it to
raise it, or you can set auto-raise, but I find that excruciating
(''hey! I was reading that!")