interface renaming (was: Re: Moving towards NetworkManager)

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:41:01 UTC 2016

On 30 July 2016 at 15:27, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 03:11:56PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 30 July 2016 at 14:11, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
>> > What does it contradict?
>> For example "it might very well happen that "eth0" on one boot ends up
>> being "eth1" on the next".
>
> Have you ever actually SEEN that? Myself not...

There are many things I have not seen, that does not mean they are not correct.

Also it says "For a longer time udev shipped support for assigning
permanent "ethX" names to certain interfaces based on their MAC
addresses. This turned out to have a multitude of problems ...... As a
result support for this has been removed from systemd/udev a while
back

Colin