interface renaming (was: Re: Moving towards NetworkManager)

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Jul 30 10:49:19 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 05:46:55PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-07-30 at 09:13 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I still fail to see the problem that this new system is trying to
> > solve.
>
> Read this:
>
> https://www.mwave.com.au/product/wd-my-passport-ultra-3tb-usb-30-premiu
> m-portable-storage-black-ab67207

I don't exaclty understand what an external USB drive has to do with the
naming of network interfaces.

But to add to the discussion: the trouble with the new naming scheme is not
only for the average user. It also affects package maintainers and system
administrators. For example: when you install snort, it defaults to eth0. With
the old naming scheme, it was safe to simply accept this default as long as
you have only one interface. With the new naming scheme, if you install
unattended (accepting the defaults), you'll not even notice that snort is not
running.

Hey, that's what I call progress...

--
Josef Wolf