Moving towards NetworkManager

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:44:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:21:37 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu is a user-friendly distro and Arch is _not_ user-friendly,
>>> it#s user-centric.
>>
>> Arch likes to promote itself as non-user-friendly. If that's what
>> floats its boat, why not; but there's nothing magical or particularly
>> difficult about installing and maintaining an Arch system.
>
> I agree. Maintaining an Arch install is also very simple, but requires
> some attention, that by a so called user-friendly distro isn't needed.
>
> For example, the filesystem hierarchy standard changed perhaps 2 or 3
> years ago. For most users this was a trouble-free transition, but by
> the nature of this kind of change, it wasn't trouble-free for
> everybody.
>
> A released based model distro could make such a transition much
> user-friendlier.

The FHS didn't change! Arch and Fedora decided to turn "/bin" "/lib"
"/sbin" into symlinks (I'm not an Arch user but, IIRC, it turned
"/usr/sbin" into a symlink too). I don't know how Arch did it

I have no idea how Arch dealt withe transition. Fedora had a dracut
module that had to be run once in order to do the necessary before
switching out of the initramfs.

There's a perl script in Debian that can be used to effect this
change. I don't know whether the changes that had to be made to
various packages to allow this transition have made it into 16.04.
They've probably made it into 16.10.

> It doesn't harm to regularly read the Arch news, before upgrading,
> while it's less important for an Ubuntu install, to read Ubuntu news.

That's not because Arch is intrinsically more difficult to use and
manager but because it uses the latest upstream packages. My laptop
currently triple-boots Ubuntu 16.10, Fedora rawhide, and Debian sid.
This might not be as bleeding edge as Arch but it's close enough that
I have to keep an eye on what's being installed :)