Upfrading from Ubuntu 14.03 to Ubuntu 16.0

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 30 04:34:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 13:58:26 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>Alternatively, after installing VirtualBox on the new system, copy the
>existing virtual machine files (probably in "~/VirtualBox VMs/" into
>from the old system to the equivalent location on the new system. Then,
>in VirtualBox on the new system, choose "Machine->Add" and navigate to
>the copied files. It's a bit trickier, but it's way faster than the
>export/import method, especially if your virtual disks are large. and
>it gets you everything in one hit.

Why not just using the original ~/.VirtualBox directory (and most
likely ~/VirtualBox VMs/) and simply run VBox without doing anything?

In the ~/.VirtualBox directory there are the paths, either
~/VirtualBox VMs/ or any other path.

If you upgrade VBox, you don't need to choose "Machine->Add" or any
export/import method.

If we are able to help Peter to backup all available data and to
decrypt all encrypted data, he simply needs to copy home and the VMs
and everything runs out of the box for a new install.

There's absolutely no need to care about Virtualbox, if we are able to
help Peter to get a new Ubuntu install with his old /home and perhaps
additional data, but most likely he has everything in /home.

I suspect that data in e.g. /etc is less important, but we even could
try to backup this data.