Re: Bash – am I getting MAD here?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:48:09 UTC 2016

> The problem you have is that of namespace.  Even though you're declaring
> the "FileName" variable within ToURI as a local, you're also declaring it
> in the global context in the (now disabled) line.  It wouldn't necessarily
> be a problem, but you're declaring FileName as an array in the global
> context, so when you go to use it the ToURI context, bash basically doesn't
> know what to do with an assignment to an array without a positional
> reference.  Basically, you *could* override the global value in ToURI if
> you wanted to by using a positional reference (eg [1]) or remove the
> positional reference in the global context. My best suggestion would be to
> just change the local variable name in ToURI to something that doesn't
> collide with the global namespace.

I think I see what you mean.
About the array thing, I actually found later that replacing
*FileName[1]=$(basename
"${File[1]}") with **FileName=$(basename "${File[1]}") *worked too, and
that was also my first solution, giving a slightly slower script, not
noticeable though.

Having another look at my ToURI function, I'm also wondering if ”*export
local*” is meaningful. Sounds like a contradiction… But I need the export
for the perl thing at the end of the function, I don't think it will work
otherwise.

However, I replaced FileName in the ToURI function with InputFile and it
seems to work now.
Thank you very much for your input. I guess I should have understood this
myself, but I'm good at other things… :P

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg