16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 27 08:32:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 03:13:55 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:21:29 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>>
>>> from https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
>>> section 9.3.2
>>>
>>> "The /etc/init.d scripts must be treated as configuration files,
>>> either (if they are present in the package, that is, in the .deb
>>> file) by marking them as conffiles, or,...."
>>> "...Only when dpkg is executed with the --purge option will
>>> configuration files be removed. In particular, as
>>> the /etc/init.d/package script itself is usually a conffile, it will
>>> remain on the system if the package is removed but not purged. "
>>>
>>> so the behaviour is expected ... that the generator kicks in in this
>>> case smells like a bug though, it might need to check if the related
>>> package actually exists on the system...
>>
>> That's indeed rational, but tricky. What's inside of init.d is
>> nebulous. One one side it quasi could be a "config" to manage a
>> service, on the other side it quasi could be the "program" itself.
>
>The main part of what the generator does is create a service unit in
>"/run/" with
>
>ExecStart=/etc/init.d/<daemon> start
>ExecStop=/etc/init.d/<daemon> stop
>
>so it's not that tricky.

It isn't related to the generator, but to the package management.

The wicked part is "apt-get remove", assumed the systemd unit and the
program to run should be removed, but the init.d file should be
considered as a config, that should not be removed. Again, the content
of init.d is neither fish nor fowl, it's not really heisenbergish,
since we can take a look and then we definitively know, if it's fish or
fowl. However, regarding Oli's quote, it's per se a config for the
package management.

Anyway, it wasn't my point, but thank you for mentioning it, there's
also something wicked related to the generator. ExecStart and ExecStop
isn't a translation of the runlevels an init script could provide.
Perhaps the genrator does a better translation, but the translation
isn't that simple.