16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Jul 26 15:56:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:17:18 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> What's fishy with it is the fact, that /etc/init.d/lightdm is not
>> available by official Ubuntu 16.04 repositories.
>
>Are you sure?

I was mistaken and corrected this by a follow-up ;).

At this point the informations we really need to help the OP, are
related to his reply from Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:34:40 +0200:
  >>>I tried to reinstall the desktop and got a completely different
  >>>desktop, which I've never seen before.

- Is this desktop ok for him?
- Does everything work? I suspect, that since he's able to see the
  completely new desktop, that the display manager is working now.

Regards,
Ralf