16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Tue Jul 26 14:36:54 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-26 at 08:29 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 26.07.2016, 09:59 +1000 schrieb Karl Auer:
> >
> >> Network Manager DOES have issues - the way it handles the DNS is a step
> >> too far, and getting rid of dnsmasq is the first thing I do on a new
> >> install.
> >
> > well, compared to 60sec timeouts when you have a slow or unreachable DNS
> > server having a caching DNS proxy locally is not the worst idea i
> > think ;)
>
> +1 for having dnsmasq (or another local resolver) installed.

I really agree.  dnsmasq is light-weight, straightforward, well-
integrated, and just sits there in the background providing real
benefits in terms of performance even if nothing else needs it.  And,
many types of virtual networking on your system do need it; if you ever
try to use those and you've broken the standard installation of dnsmasq
you'll run into weird issues that no one will be able to help you with.

Of course it's great for people to be able to modify their system to
suit their needs: that's why we like GNU/Linux instead of a proprietary
system.  If you have very specific needs and are doing special network
configuration, testing, or admin I can see it.  Otherwise it just seems
like looking for trouble that you don't need to find.