16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Jul 26 13:40:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:34:40 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
>Strange enough, /etc/init.d/lightdm was still there and was actually
>invoked by systemd.

Josef, the output you quoted explains why it was started:

  "Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)"

What's fishy with it is the fact, that /etc/init.d/lightdm is not
available by official Ubuntu 16.04 repositories. So why was it
installed? LightDM from the official repositories has got a systemd
unit and no /etc/init.d/lightdm.

Colin, Oli and I are running 16.04, too and we checked that it is a
systemd unit for our installs.

>> Josef, what is the output of
>>  dpkg -l lightdm
>
>Sorry, I can't check anymore. I tried to reinstall the desktop and got
>a completely different desktop, which I've never seen before.

It doesn't matter what was installed, we try to fix your install, so
running this command, would give us some information.

Are you able to login by what ever display manger now?

If not, install lightdm and remove all other display managers or much
better, do a completely fresh install using an ISO from Ubuntu, not only
verified by checksum, but also by signature:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/how-to-verify

I strongly recommend to do a new install from a signature verified ISO.
It's still not perfect, because actually the key should be trusted by a
web of trust, but even without this, it's relatively secure.

Don't care about NM. I don't use NM and we will find a way that you
don't need to use it, too, _but_ don't remove it. First install
everything you want and don't care about NM.

2 Cents,
Ralf