16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 26 12:52:13 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016 13:34:40 CEST schrieb Josef Wolf
<jw at raven.inka.de>:

> Any pointers to how configure NM in a scripted manner?

for scripting NM ships the nmcli tool, i wouldnt go for dbus if using a
shell script ...

>> (then it will also still provide the info to desktop apps on
>> the dbus that the system is off/online, many apps use that
>> feature nowadays)
>
> Do you have a pointer? Maybe this would be a viable interface
> for quering and
> configuring the network stuff?

if you write an actual app that uses dbus:
https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/unstable/spec.html

and specifically:
 https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/unstable/gdbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Connection.Active.html

> It looks like preference has moved from apt-get to aptitude back to
> apt-get. In addition, command line options have been renamed
> several times in
> the past.

i dont know any ubuntu developer who ever used aptitude, for exactly that
reason (the confusing differences in dependency resolution between the two)
any tool and script we use in developmennt relies on apt since ubuntu
started ... so i dont know where the expectation that aptitude might be a
preference comes from :)

ciao
    oli

--
Mit Dekko von meinem Ubuntu-Gerät gesendet