16.04: Graphical login/desktop vanished? (coming closer)

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:29:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 26.07.2016, 09:59 +1000 schrieb Karl Auer:
>
>> Network Manager DOES have issues - the way it handles the DNS is a step
>> too far, and getting rid of dnsmasq is the first thing I do on a new
>> install.
>
> well, compared to 60sec timeouts when you have a slow or unreachable DNS
> server having a caching DNS proxy locally is not the worst idea i
> think ;)
>
> it really depends how well that network you connect to is maintained,
> travelling a lot with a laptop you will hit a lot of badly configured
> hotel networks, there this comes in handy ;)
>
> on a workstation connected to a wired network with a proper non-changing
> DNS setup this might indeed be overkill...

+1 for having dnsmasq (or another local resolver) installed.

network-manager depends on dnsmasq-base

$ aptitude search -F %p '?depends(dnsmasq-base)'
concordance-common
dnsmasq
freedombox-setup
libvirt-bin
lxc1
lxd
mahimahi
network-manager
neutron-dhcp-agent
nova-network
ubuntu-fan

so you can't uninstall it (if you want to use NM).

Simply set "dns=none" in "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf" to
disable it.